Abuse and domestic abuse go hand in hand. There are many types of abuse, including:
- Verbal abuse includes name-calling, telling you that you are worthless, that you are a bad parent, shouting, constantly interrupting, telling other people that you are crazy, blaming you for the abuse.
- Emotional abuse includes threats, isolation, manipulation, insults, destruction of property, public humiliation, and accusations of affairs, threats of suicide, self injury, or homicide if you leave
- Financial abuse includes controlling all income, not letting you work or keep a job, making you ask for money, giving an allowance, taking your money, or running up debt under your name.
- Sexual abuse can include forced or coerced sex with your partner, another person, or an object.
- Physical abuse includes any forceful behavior such as hitting, choking, slapping, using weapons, driving recklessly, holding you down, and preventing you from leaving.